Monday 5 October 2015

Lens-based Media rotation: Day 5

In the morning we were shown the work of previous foundation students at Ravensbourne who had chosen to go on to do this specific pathway, some of whom had gone onto degrees and careers within this subject area.
I found this particularly useful as I am still unsure of what pathway I want to take and what I want to do for my undergraduate degree course. The presentation of work gave me an insight into the wide variety of jobs that I could potentially go into if I did a degree in this subject area and that I previously didn't know were under the title of Lense Based Media, for example sound design and animation.

Near the beginning of the week we were told that we would have to create our own six photograph story board using our six personal objects that we brought in on the first proper day of the foundation course.
After being unsure for several days about what story I could do, my mum showed me an old advert that used to be on TV for Cadbury's Milk Tray. The video bellow is an example of one of the adverts...


After seeing this I had an idea to use the teddy I brought in on the first day as part of my six objects and tell the story of how he gets the girl of his dreams.








The plot of the story board is:
  1. First Teddy is looking at a picture of the girl he likes.
  2. Then he gets an idea to steel the chocolates from the "scary" dog that guards them in order to impress her.
  3. He then starts his long journey to where the dog and the chocolates are by parachuting of dangerous heights.
  4. The next picture captures the moment where he secretly steels the chocolate from the dog.
  5. He then climbs down the rope, escaping with the chocolates
  6. and rides away on his "noble steed".
  7. The last picture shows the girl of his dreams receiving Teddy's gift and a notes from Teddy explaining the reason for his adventure. Like in the advert, he steels the chocolate "all because the lady loves Milk Tray".
On Friday afternoon we were asked to pin up our pictures in order for everyone to see. At the end of the day we split off into groups of four or five for mini group crits where we were instructed to ask our piers a series of questions about their story board, such as the inspiration for it, what lighting was used and what the overall theme was. It was very insightful to hear the reasons and meanings behind peoples' story boards.
Here is a picture of what my group wrote about my work...


After lunch we also did a fun, experimental exercise focusing on the creation of animation. We sat in groups of nine and one by one we were instructed to stand in the middle and do a different standing pose ranging from five to twenty minutes. The formation of the chairs meant that each person in the group was sat so that they drew a different view of the person in the middle. The drawings were then collected in order and were put together in a small animation that we were shown at the very end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment