Sunday 4 October 2015

Lens-based Media Rotation: Day 1

Prior to starting the Lense Based Media rotation we were asked to go around our local environment taking photos of things or places that were particularly memorable to us. I have lived in the same area my whole life and therefore there are many places that I associate with my childhood. This is a selection of some of the photographs I chose...





On our first day we were asked to pick just one picture to draw from so I chose the last one on the list above which is of my primary school and that I thought was one of the most interesting due to the intricate design of the victorian windows.


During this morning we were also given a talk on the importance of cropping and editing in photography and how this can make a photograph contain a whole other meaning. The talk was all about understanding photographic composition and we were given some background information on philosophies about composition that have been developed over the years, for example the golden ratio.

To experiment with this ourselves we were asked to rip an additional piece of paper and manipulate it in ways that would enhance certain sections of the image when it was placed on top of our drawing. By doing this it allowed different meanings to be interpreted from the overall image as we cropped out "less important" aspects of it.



For the cropping of my drawing I chose to rip central sections of the additional piece of paper so that the negative space revealed just the interesting victorian windows in the underlying drawing.

After lunch I also took part in a photograph workshop where we experimented with artificial lighting to create interesting affects.

No comments:

Post a Comment