Saturday 3 October 2015

Graphics rotation: Day 4 (SDS day) + Day 5

On Wednesday (day 3) of this week we were asked to produce a poster on "Poetic migration".

Thursday of this week was a "Self Directed Study (SDS) day" and so I spent the day designing and developing my ideas for my poster.


At first I was unsure of what the title "Poetic migration" meant, however what I interpreted it as was factors of migration portrayed poetically through the use of graphics on a poster. The first thing that came to mind was the image of a map and the different routes that people take every year either for economic purposes or for reasons such as escaping war and brutality in a country.
Migration also occurs in animal species whether it be birds or marine life. Once I had the image of a map in my head I coupled this together with the image of a flying bird and then thought of the content and form of typography I could use on the poster.


For the map I decided to paint the continents in varying tones of green watercolours and for the background I decided to fill the space with types of blues, which I intended to portray the image of a stormy sky whilst also encasing a resemblance to the sea around the various continents in the world.
For the bird I found an interestingly drawn image of a flying bird on google and recreated this on top of the image of the map using silver and black markers. What I found most difficult was thinking of the words to add to the image. After dwelling on it right up until one minute before we had to go to our group crit, I decided to caption the image with "Migration. The long journey," taking inspiration from a painting of migrating birds I found on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment