Friday 9 October 2015

Fashion and textiles rotation: Day 3

At the end of day 2 (Tuesday) we were asked to bring in five different images of fashion photography and any interesting papers we could find.
On the morning of day 3 we were instructed to collage our interesting papers in obscure shapes on top of the models of the photographs, affectively creating a new outfit on top of the one in the picture. We were encouraged to make the paper additions contrast to the clothing that had already been captured in the photograph. For example if the clothing was quite soft and free moving the additional paper should be manipulated to provided a sharp and restricted shape that would contradict the clothing in the initial photograph. For my collages I produced the compositions...



 Out of all of my collages I produced during this morning I felt that the one to the right, which is perhaps also the most simple and the one that took me the least time, was my favourite. This was due to the way the two folded pieces of paper created a nice symmetry and I also liked the angular and abstract look of it.

Near the end of the morning we were all asked to pin our collages up and half of the group gathered around one cluster and the other half around the other, so that we could discuss which individuals' work we liked and why in a large group crit.

There were a couple of collages I really liked out of the pieces that were displayed during our group crit. One being the second middle image from the right as I liked how the monotonous nature of the image that the text gave matched the black and white characteristic of the photograph. I also liked how this was a visual representation, perhaps in a more abstract way, of the action that the figure is doing as she is reading a book. I also liked the use of triangles in the collage below it as it seemed to show a very striking and abstract garment.























In the afternoon we experimented with our chosen piece of art work again, creating stencils of different pieces of clothing and cutting out the negatives so that we could draw round them onto the picture. The image therefore became like a print on the pieces of clothing that we had drawn.


One of the items of cut out clothing that I thought worked particularly well was the pleated skirt as I strategically placed the stencil on the area of the image that illustrated the rough edged rocks in the cave because I felt that this visual texture well represented the pleating on a skirt.


For this photograph I organised the pieces of cut out clothing so that the image revealed on each of them matched the layout of the actual picture that they were cut from. In doing so I hoped to reveal the purpose and reasons for placing the stencils where I did on the image so that the viewer can visualise what I was thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment