Friday 9 October 2015

3D rotation: Day 1

For the first day on the 3D rotation we were instructed to build a 3D structure out of paper that would support a filled water bottle at least two centimetres off the surface of the table. Being told many times the triangles as the strongest structures, I though I would try this idea out and make a pyramid like structure with a flat top so that the bottle could sit comfortably on it without falling.





































Being a bit rushed for time at the end I randomly cut two squares of paper out and stuck them together for the flat top of the pyramid.
Going to test it, I realised that the design would have looked a bit nicer and neater if I had cut the excess paper off the flat top, maybe in a triangle shape to be in keeping with the design and decoration of the structure.
To experiment with this, after I tested it I then cut the flat top and took a picture to see what it would have looked like.


Although the paper structure is slightly crumpled from trying to stand the water bottle in it when it was turned upside-down, I think this picture captures what my developed idea would have looked like.

Despite having doubts about the design, I feel that the excess paper did add value to the pictures we were asked to take before the actual test, experimenting with lighting and putting the structures into different contexts. By placing the mini plastic figures on the extra paper on the top level, the structure seeming to turn into a model of a real life building. Thus a sense of vertigo is created as the viewer sees that the miniature figure seems to be standing on a suspended level very high off the ground.



































This made me think of the Grand Canyon Skywalk in Arizona which is a transparent horseshoe-shaped cantilever bridge and tourist attraction near the Colorado River. After making the paper model and putting it in its new context using the mini figures I felt that I had unconsciously replicated the same idea of a raised extended platform seen in this structure.



In the afternoon we were asked to create another 3D structure out of cardboard that would support the full weight of a human being. For this challenge I used my improved version of the previous paper structure and it seemed to be very stable when I pushed down on it, however, when it was stood on, it collapsed.




























No comments:

Post a Comment