Monday 7 March 2016

3/3 projects in two weeks- Alphabetype

I wasn't really sure on the last project I wanted to do and chose the "make your own alphabet" one because I thought it might be quite fun.
However I didn't know where to start so I started by looking at letters made out of everyday objects such as food.

I then created a photographic alphabet of my own using things I found around the house and even using my own body to create some letters.



I then went on to trace some of the letters and this seemed to produce some interesting illustrative designs, for example the "D" made out of pasta.


I traced some letters is just black and white and added colour to others, but I thought that the ones done in just black and white were the most interesting as the viewer is allowed to concentrate on just the shape and form of the letter.


 



















Perhaps inspired by the recently popular adult colouring books I started to experiment with printing out different letters of the alphabet in different fonts, tracing the outline and filling them with decorative indian designs.


Although these too seemed ok in black and white I preferred them in colour as the boldness and brightness of the pro markers makes them more engaging for the viewer.

This was my favourite technique out of all my experimentations with creating letter forms and so I decided to go with this idea, creating the whole alphabet using the font and colour scheme from the first "A" pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment