Sunday 22 November 2015

Graphics pathway- week 2

After having newly joined this pathway group we were split up into 6 workshop groups in which we would rotate around the different workshops organised for us.

3D prototyping workshop

For the first day I was in the 3D prototyping lab doing an etching workshop. However when we got there it was clear that neither the students nor the technicians were sure what they were meant to be doing for this workshop. Having not previously done anything for the Global warming project that the rest of the graphics pathway group had started the previous week while I was in 3D, I took this opportunity to sketch and explore some ideas for my Global warming poster.

The first thing that came to mind when I was given this topic was melting ice caps and rising seas levels. I did various experiments on how I could visually present this idea in different ways.


The layout of the text in this idea was strategic so that the viewer reads the image vertically instead of horizontally. They therefore get the full affect of the message as the image shows the adverse affects of the melting ice caps in the North.


Although it was time consuming, I particularly liked the affect of the melting lettering as it seemed to visually resemble melting candle wax. It would perhaps be more affective if I were to put colour in the lettering to make it look more like melting ice, however with the addition of the image of the globe in some of the letters along with the caption, makes the message quite clear.


Developing my idea of the melting lettering, I produced this small image of a melting clock inspired by Salvador Dali. Along with the drooping letters and the slogan, I feel that the components work well together to emphasises this characteristic of global warming.

Later on in the week it was brought to my attention that this particular factor of global warming had a counter argument, that apparently whilst the ice caps are melting in the Arctic, the ice in the Antarctic is in fact increasing and perhaps more than scientists had previously thought. I therefore experimented with this somewhat controversial idea, basing my final poster on it.


Illustration workshop

For the second workshop I did illustration and we made Fanzines based on our continued topic of global warming. By this stage many of us were getting a bit bored of this topic, however the slightly more free approach to designing Zines in contrast to posters made the subject more interesting to work with.
I really liked being able to layer images and draw over them, turning them into something else, and repeating this prossess to create smaller ensembles that collected into one final one.







To finish it off I put one of my previous poster designs on the back of the opened out sheet of paper.


In graphics you don't often get to make 3D outcomes so I was interesting to find ways of bringing 3D and Graphics together as I have always like making things, hence the reason for my previous choice to be on the 3D pathway.






No comments:

Post a Comment